The Young Protectors: Double-Cross Chapter One—Page 8

Original comic page at: https://youngprotectors.com/typ3/doublecross-ch1-page-8/

Speak your truth, Flyboy!

Less than 24 hours until I have my first ever livestream! It’s scheduled for March 9 at 11:00 A.M. PST and it’s a chance for my Patrons to ask me questions and for me to answer in real-time on live video. Here are the questions so far (in the order they’ve been voted on):

• How do you go about creating such vibrant, interesting characters? What’s your process for developing them and fleshing out their backstories?
  • What are you visions for the future of the comics? Have you ever thought about branching out and adding more characters to the universe, or giving some of the existing characters their own separate comics that feed into the main one?
  • I don’t know if this info is already posted somewhere, but is there going to be a next print volume for Engaging the Enemy? I would really like to hold that in my hands! 🙂
  • What has been your favorite part of creating these comics?
  • The artist in me is very curious about this: How much time did it take in the very beginning to settle on the character designs? How much freedom did Adam have in creating their looks? Or rather how detailed was your feedback back then? Would you comment on things like eyeshape, noses etc? (also Adam is an absolute genius!! His characters are so consistent 💕💕💕 art goals ;))
  • I still have concern about being able to continue the current biweekly pages and the other perks you are providing when you are not breaking even each month. I have the feeling the artists are paid their ‘wage’ but that but a continual financial strain on you. Are there other ways this great graphic serialized novel be can be capitalized ?
  • When writing a scene do you put yourself in your character’s shoes and ask how would they react or what would they do in the situation you’re writing?
  • How big of a story arc or idea did you have at the very beginning when you started the comic compared to now? How much was added along the way? Was it always set up as 3, 4, 5 … x story arcs? How many are still to come?
  • Does it ever happen when you’re writing scenes, especially dialogue, that the characters develop a mind of their own? If so, how do you get them back in line? 😉 Has a scene (or even a longer part of the comic) ever turned out differently from what you had planned because the characters did not want to cooperate?
  • Do you have any plans to attend any conventions this year?

Would you like to hear my answers to any of those questions? You can sign up and save your spot here. (And if you can’t make it, still sign up! Patrons who sign up will get sent a link to a replay of the video.)

And speaking of our awesome Patrons, I want to to send out a very special thank you and welcome to our new Patrons this week!

James H., Wes F., Benjamin N., Daniel P., and Ron S.

And I’d also like to thank the totally awesome readers who were already Patrons, but who upped their pledges this week:

cpez, Kent A., and Paul E.

(Thank you so much, cpez, Kent, and Paul!)

Thank you all so much for your amazing support of this comic! You all rock! (And I hope to see y’all tomorrow at the livestream!)

So! Mitch isn’t wasting any time beating around the bush. (That’s what happens when you’re one of my characters. I don’t have much patience for the narrative stalling of characters keeping an upsetting truth to themselves. Unless they’re a villain, of course. 🙂 )

There was some really fun discussion in the comments under the last page about how Flyboy should react to what Spooky did. How do you think Mitch feels about what Spooky said to Kanya? How should he feel? How will Spooky react to being confronted? And do all of Flyboy’s powers have a bird-name reference?

Tune in this Wednesday to find out! Hope to see you there! 😀