The Young Protectors: Double Cross Chapter Four—Page 1

Original comic page at: The Young Protectors: Double Cross Chapter Four—Page 1 - Young Protectors Webcomics

(Click here to read this page as it was intended to be read — on my webcomics site!)

Just who we want Teen Spooky listening to, am I right? 😀

1/7/21 EDITED TO ADD: As you know, Covid is hitting a lot of places and people hard right now, including members of my team. Both Vero, the main colorist of The Young Protectors , and my assistant Teri, whom many of you have chatted with, got sickened by Covid this week. Vero very much still wanted to get us the colored page for our return, but her health obviously needs to come first. As soon as she feels better, I’ll replace this black and white page with the colored version. And we will hold off on our usual Panel Poll until we get the colored page. At the moment, neither Vero nor Teri are in any danger, just really wiped out. But let’s please all send them both lots of positive energy. Thanks!

You can talk about this page at The Young Protectors Community here.

Link to preview page (page 2) for $5+ Patrons:

Welcome back!

Adam, Vero, and I took the entire month of December off, which was the longest break I’ve ever taken in posting in the 10+ years I’ve been publishing these webcomics. And boy, did I miss y’all! It was a good, restorative time, but I totally missed hearing from y’all in the Comments Section, and I’m super-excited to share these new pages with you. I think what you’re going to see in Chapter 4 is some of the best, most fun work we’ve done in The Young Protectors so far!

Speaking of the Comments Section…

I had hoped to launch the new Comments Section today, but…

I ran into some bugs, so it’s going to need to wait at least another week. There was a bunch of maintenance I was able to get done during the break, but there are still a few glitches with the new Comments plugin that I’m going to need help from the professionals to fix.

If you’re curious about what the new Comment System will look like, you can check it out here:

https://wpdiscuz.com

But basically, instead of using a 3rd party like Disqus that does a bunch of things I don’t like, the Comments Section will be hosted locally on my server again. This will allow me to add a bunch of new features that I think you’re really going to enjoy. Stay tuned.

This will also mean that you’ll need to eventually create an account on this Web site in order to comment (if you haven’t already—many Patrons already have). But in addition to creating a native account here, or using a “social login” like Facebook, Twitter, etc., you’ll actually even be able to use your Disqus account as a social login, if you want. So, the experience signing in here should feel fairly seamless.

And, during this break

A major ad provider asked me to join their network

As you can probably see, there are some new ads on the site. Ads are obviously a way a lot of websites keep the lights on. For many years, no major advertising provider was even willing consider hosting on my site, due to the gay. But one finally has—in fact, they went out of their way to fight for me—and so I’m trying it out.

The current number and placement of ads aren’t final—I’m still making a few tweaks—but I think the set-up is close to where I’d like it to be, and I think the placement/amount of ads strike an ok balance without being too in-the-way. You can let me know. One good feature with this provider is that the Close buttons on the ads actually work. (I’ve seen ads from other ad providers where they don’t.) So if a “sticky” ad bugs you, you can always close it.

So far, to be honest, the new ads are not bringing in a whole lot of income yet (possibly because of the gay), but it’s early days, and I’m going to give it every possibility to succeed, because it could make a big difference in the sustainability of these comics.

Also, I’ve set things up so Patrons can read the comics on the site without the ads, if they want to. Just another way to say thank you for your awesome, continued support. Because you rock. I literally couldn’t make these comics without you. 🙂

Finally, there’s one more change I want to talk to you about. And this is a fun one!

Adam DeKraker and Veronica Gandini are now credited as co-creators of The Young Protectors!

Just in case you’re new here, Adam DeKraker is the main linework artist of The Young Protectors, and Veronica Gandini is the main colorist. (And I’m Alex Woolfson. Hi!) We’ve been working together for over 10 years on this comic, it wouldn’t be one tenth as awesome without their art, and I feel that deserves special recognition. So, you’ll see the new co-creator credit added under each Chapter Page and in the watermarks on all new Young Protectors comic pages.

Nothing is changing behind the scenes. I’m still coming up with all the stories, writing all the scripts, and keeping my art director cap on. But The Young Protectors is something we’ve been creating together, Adam and Vero are two of the most talented artists in the entire industry, and their tremendous contribution to this independent comic is something I think deserves special recognition.

If you’ve been enjoying the art in these pages, please take a moment in the Comments Section to let Adam and Vero know how you feel! 😀

NEW PATRON THANK YOUS

The only reason I’m able to keep making The Young Protectors is because of the very generous support of readers like you on Patreon. Especially now. And we had 37 new folks sign up over the weeks that we were on break! So, please join me in sending out a very special thank you and welcome to the new members of the Woolfpack this week!

Chris, Greg, hornyhusky, Lawrence, Mr. Witch5, Roosp, Tim, Bruce A., Kevin B., Larry B., Derek Kyle C., Skvl c., Chris D., Damon D., Natsu D., César E., Jonathan F., Leon F., Dennis G., Richard G., Michael H., Samantha H., Nathan K., Evan M., Felix M., Peter M., Scott M., Thomas M., Waldito M., William M., Lantern N., Larry Q., Spencer S., Albert T., Witt T., Jay V. and Ryan W.

Thank you so much for your amazing support, Chris, Greg, hornyhusky, Lawrence, Mr. Witch5, Roosp, Tim, Bruce, Kevin, Larry, Derek Kyle, Skvl, Chris, Damon, Natsu, César, Jonathan, Leon, Dennis, Richard, Michael, Samantha, Nathan, Evan, Felix, Peter, Scott, Thomas, Waldito, William, Lantern, Larry, Spencer, Albert, Witt, Jay and Ryan!

And let’s also please thank totally awesome readers who were already Patrons, but who upped their pledge in the weeks that we were on break:

Greg, Bakari A., Andrea J., Rachel Lynne W.

(Thank you so much, Greg, Bakari, Andrea, Rachel Lynne!)

Thank you all so much for your amazing support! You and the other members of the Woolfpack are all the real superheroes of this comic!

(Would you like to make sure this comic continues? Ready to dive even deeper into The Young Protectors world? Learn more about all the benefits of joining me and your fellow readers as part of The Young Protectors tribe on Patreon and then join the fun!)

So!

So! We’re back between the sheets and with The Platinum Priestess! And apparently she is Teen Spooky’s… friend. (Say, what???)

How does Teen Spooky know her? What kind of relationship do they have? Where are they exactly? And how much danger are our heroes in right now? (Spoiler alert: More than a little.)

Tune in this Wednesday to find out! Hope to see you there! 😀

(And Happy New Year, everyone!)

1 Like

I see two possibilites: Either this is an alternate timeline. It is very different from the back story we got from the text pieces, where Spooky knew of the crimes of the Platinum Priestess long before he met her. Or he is unaware that Sircea is the Platinum Priestess.

2 Likes

Out of the frying pan…

Welcome back, Alex. I hope you had a great break!

1 Like

Interesting speculation, Klaus. We will find out soon enough. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Nate! I did! I hope you had a great holiday as well!

1 Like

Indeed, as others have posted. “Welcome Back!” AS to the page shown? I am very confused unless Sircea has not presented as a “wicked witch” to Spooks as of yet. HOWEVER< always a question, doesn’t she have a long and storied history of net exactly being on the side of health and good healing!??? Yep. Confused. I like Klaus’s speculation as well. Many possibilities in the Alex-verse!

1 Like

Welcome back!! Happy new year!! Superduper positive vibes to Vero and Teri!!

oh, right, I forgot that Platinum Priestess came back. Excited for this next chapter and to see Mah Boooyytm again~

Indeed, Bill! And good to hear from you again! Welcome back! :slight_smile:

Happy new year, Julia! Glad you’re excited to see what Teen Spooky will be up to next. This is going to be a really fun chapter. :smiley: