Do we have a wiki? Do we want a wiki?

I notice that there’s a Wiki Editor badge, but I haven’t seen any other evidence of a TYP Wiki. Is there one? Is that an option that can be turned on? Do we want a wiki, if only so I can remember to stop spelling Cory with an ‘e’? And I can never remember what Tsunami’s real name is. Or the names of some of the minor characters, like Cory’s brother’s name. Help remind me what the opposite of enochian magic is.

2 Likes

Wikis come in very handy. I’d love to see one!

1 Like

Tsunami’s name is Gordon and Cory’s brother is called Diego ^^
But I like Wikis and would love to have one! Just as with everything it’d need dedicated article writers and I wonder if enough people are willing and have the time to work on it?

2 Likes

The forum software gives me the ability to turn certain posts into “wikis” which allows multiple folks to edit and add to it. This is especially handy for “how-to” posts and if y’all ever see a need for it, let me (or one of the mods) know.

I think a Wiki is a great idea.

We sort of have a default Wiki over at TV Tropes:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/TheYoungProtectors

But it doesn’t seem to be updated very often. (It still thinks we are in Chapter 2 of Legendary.)

I have set up wiki software before, and it’s not too difficult to put together. I’d love to see one for The Young Protectors and Artifice. They are a lot of fun and useful. But it would definitely need to be a reader-created project. Right now, all my bandwidth is being taken up with learning all about Facebook advertising.

If anyone wants to take charge of that project, though, I’d be happy to promote it to the other readers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve decided to start my own fan page/wiki on my own website. People can look at it here: http://plover.net/~davidw/topics/TYP%20wiki.html

It’s not a true wiki; it’s just a normal webpage that I alone can edit and update. But it still might be useful in the meantime. And, uh, it’s not very complete yet since I’ve only just started on it.

And unless I get specific permission to use clipped art from the webcomic, I’ll keep my fan page text-only. If I was permitted to sample the artwork, well, I’m very fond these days of using thumbnail images no larger than 120 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall. Did y’all know that HTML has a <figure> tag now?

3 Likes

Hey David,

You have my permission to use clipped art from my comics for this webpage so long as credit is always included per my FAQ (same rules as for fan art). Ideally, you’d also live link to the original page.

There’s some really great open source software for Wikis that at one time I had fun exploring. (I set up a MediaWiki once.) It wasn’t too difficult to put together, and it might be easier than hand-coding static pages.

Let me know when you feel you’ve gotten it where you’d like it to be and I’ll make an announcement on the webcomic site. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, Alex. The page is still not up to date, and I have to work on unrelated end-of-month tasks tonight, but I’ve added some images now so you can see how I intend to use them. I’ve put the required credits line near the top of page, just above the Table of Contents. I’m not sure what you mean by “live” links, exactly, but each image is linked to the original page where I sampled it from; I hope that’s what you meant. And I’ll definitely let you know here when it’s ready to go more public. Thanks again.

3 Likes

Hey David,

Sounds good. :slight_smile:

I think you have the right idea with live links. Basically just hyperlink each image to the page that it originated from, so readers can look at it in context. (And find the comic if, for some reason, they got to your site without knowing about The Young Protectors.)

Keep us posted!

1 Like