The Young Protectors: Double-Cross Chapter Three—Page 24

Original comic page at: https://youngprotectors.com/typ3/doublecross-ch3-page-24/

This is clearly a Man who enjoys his work…

Black Stories Matter

On this page, our readers suggested stories in the comments that featured black heroes. With the past several updates I’ve tried to highlight those suggestions here in my notes, and I’ve finally gone through them all!

So, because I know a lot of you like to read comics on Comixology, I’d like to bring to your attention that they have their own, curated master list of comics with black heroes which include comics from the Publishers Weekly’s Antiracism Graphic Novel Reading List, the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF) Antiracism Graphic Novels Reading & Resources List, and The American Library Association Black Lives Matter Reading List.

You can find Comixology’s Master List of Black Lives Matters comics here.

There are a number that I think look really interesting like New Kid, the story of a 7th grader starting over at a new school “where diversity is low and the struggle to fit in is real,” from award-winning author-illustrator Jerry Craft. (A theme I think we all can relate to.)

I also find the premise of BLACK Vol. 1 intriguing:

In a world that already hates and fears them — what if only Black people had superpowers. After miraculously surviving being gunned down by police, a young man learns that he is part of the biggest lie in history. Now he must decide whether it’s safer to keep it a secret or if the truth will set him free.

I definitely think y’all should check out that list and find your own new favorites. And if you have suggestions for other comics with black heroes, please let me know in the comments! 🙂

ANNIVERSARY PATRON THANK YOUS

Your continued support has always been the reason I’ve been able to continue making this comic. And I am especially grateful to our readers who continue to support this comic month-after-month during this time. Thank you for letting me continue to create these pages. Thank you for being the real superheroes of this comic.

And so, I hope everyone will please join me in wishing a very special Woolfpack anniversary “thank you!” to those Patrons who have been supporting our work for a year or more!”

First let me thank pack members who have been supporting our work for the last 12 months as of this week (July 5-11):

Jamie and Daniel R.

(You totally rock, Jamie and Daniel!)

And a heroic thank you as well as for Woolfpack members who have been supporting our work for 36 months of this week (July 5-11):

Sindre, Karen D. and Kyle G.

(Three years of support! Thank you so much, Sindre, Karen and Kyle!)

And let me also send out my biggest howl to those members of the Woolfpack who have been supporting this comic and our work from the very beginning!

These are the awesome readers who have been supporting me and this comic for 60 months (5 years!) as of this week (July 5-11):

Theadora and Grant B.

Thank you so much, Theadora and Grant! Y’all are so awesome!

Thank you all so much for your amazing, ongoing support! It’s the consistent support that is what really allows me to continue making this comic. You all truly are superheroes!

(Would you like to make sure this comic continues? Ready to dive even deeper into The Young Protectors world? Learn more about all the benefits of joining me and your fellow readers as part of The Young Protectors tribe on Patreon and then join the fun!)

So!

So! Spooky was able to blast through the chains holding Ambrosia! (Or at least the ones between her arms!) But what’s that coming out of the water? It’s the big, bad! And it looks like he’s got the same magic rope that nearly killed Teen Spooky the last time they met!

What should Spooky and Flyboy do? Keep their backs to this guy as they try to free Ambrosia? Or turn and try to fight someone who handily kicked their asses before?

Tune in this Saturday to find out! Hope to see you there! :grinning:

Did they teleport in? Amanda would have sensed them if they were there before, wouldn’t she? Or are they capable of blocking Amanda’s powers? But why would they expect that there would be a telepath? Is Amanda well known?

2 Likes

Melodramatic and needlessly messianic.

Yeah, he’s a bad guy. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hum. I wonder if he is a politician?

1 Like

Mr Shades is back!

1 Like

And he clearly and unambiguously wants Spooky and Mitch

1 Like

The intention was that they were hidden under the water and then rose out of it, magically dry.

As for whether Amanda would have sensed them if she wasn’t looking for them, at this stage of her life, being able to detect any life signs is a new thing.

Yep. :slight_smile:

He’d settle for Spooky. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ah. The three cultists that Spooky blammoed were mere decoys meant to be sacrificed. Also, there seems to be a strong suggestion that there may be more chains holding Ambrosia in place, possibly around her ankles. I did wonder about that.

I definitely didn’t expect more cultists and Shades hiding underwater, though. Nice way to be effectively “invisible” in the daytime that way. And he’s got that purple-glowrope again, but Mitch doesn’t have the magic knife any more. So, yeah, they could be in serious trouble again. Fortunately, Amanda is here this time, which hopefully will make all the difference.

Can’t help but think that Tsunami would be in his element here.

2 Likes

well that’s just rude, appearing out of nowhere like that >:[

1 Like

Yes. :slight_smile:

He would be indeed!

Super-villains have no manners.